Why carry out a thermal diagnosis of your house?

The thermal diagnosis is the first step towards saving energy, increasing comfort or increasing the value of your property.


Do you want to save energy, increase your comfort and enhance the value of your property? Do you have to meet a regulatory requirement? In all cases, a thermal diagnosis of your home will enable you to assess the energy performance of your home and identify the work to be carried out to improve it.

Carrying out a thermal diagnosis: the Energy Council and the Energy Passport

What is an energy audit?

The energy advice is a complete and detailed thermal diagnosis of your home. It assesses the insulation of your home, analyses your heating system, examines the ventilation and measures your energy consumption.

The energy consultancy takes place in several stages. After an on-site visit, the energy advisor draws up a detailed report specifying the current state of the building and the possibilities for energy improvement: insulation work, installation of controlled mechanical ventilation or use of renewable energy.

This document allows you to make the most cost-effective choices for the overall energy performance of your home.

Once the work has been decided, the energy advisor will help you analyse the companies’ bids and check that they are in order. He or she will accompany you to the building site to check that the work is carried out correctly.

The energy advisor also guides you through the administrative procedures.

What is the purpose of energy advice?

In an old, unrenovated house, about 85% of the energy is used for heating and domestic hot water. A complete renovation can reduce this consumption by about 50-70%.

By following the advice of the experts, you can therefore make substantial energy savings, not to mention the added value of your house for future resale. You also gain in comfort. Without the effect of cold walls and air infiltration, the temperature you feel is much more pleasant. So you can feel good at home all year round!

Please note: Energy advice is compulsory to qualify for the PRIMe House state aid scheme in the context of an energy renovation. It must be carried out on site and reported on before any work is carried out.

  • The energy advice is subsidised by a lump sum, if at least one measure is carried out on the building envelope:
  • 1,000 € for a single-family home ;
  • 1,200 € for a two-family house + 25 € per additional flat (maximum 1,600 €).
  • The grant is reduced by 70% if the work only involves a renewable energy installation.

What is the energy passport (cpe)?

The passeport énergétique, also known as the certificat de performance énergétique (CPE), defines the energy performance of a home. It also provides advice on how to improve it. However, the EPC does not entail any obligation to carry out the suggested work.

This quality label makes it possible to assess the energy quality of a building at a glance. This makes it easy for tenants and buyers to compare properties.

The energy passport ranks homes from A (best rating) to I (worst rating) according to several criteria:

  • the thermal insulation class, determined according to the heat requirement, takes into account the quality of the building shell;
  • the energy performance class, determined on the basis of the primary energy requirement, takes into account the heat requirement, the technical installations and the energy sources used;
  • the environmental performance class is determined on the basis of CO2 emissions.

In which cases is an energy performance certificate mandatory?

The energy performance certificate is a statutory requirement in the following cases:

  • New construction ;
  • Extension of an existing building;
  • Modification of an existing building with an impact on its energy performance;
  • Change of owner or tenant;
  • Modification of technical installations exceeding €1,500 for a single-family home or €3,000 for a multi-family home.

The energy pass is valid for 10 years. The cost of the passport is borne by the owner of the property.

Who should I contact to carry out a thermal diagnosis?

A list of architects, consulting engineers and experts approved by the Ministry of the Environment can be found on guichet.lu .

Also visit myenergy.lu to consult the list of myenergy certified advisors. Real quality assurance for your project!

Among these myenergy-certified experts, you can call on energieagence, which offers services in the fields of energy efficiency and renewable energy sources.

energieagence uses different techniques for the thermal diagnosis of your house:

  • Thermography visualises the heat loss in your home using an infrared technique;
  • the Blower-Door test measures the air tightness of a building;
  • the calculation of thermal bridges highlights the weak points in the insulation of your house.

Did you like this article?

Your page rank: